Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 13:57:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Ronald.vanderPol@surfnet.nl
To:        Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        chad@DCFinc.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bluetooth (was: Irda support)

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Robert Swindells wrote:

> Bluetooth only gives you 1Mbps, IRDA will do up to 4Mbps.

Or is it worse: 434 Kbps symmetrical or 723 Kbps up/58 Kbps down?

> I have found
> it to be more reliable than IRDA though, and obviously it works over
> greater distances.

Hmm, do you already have Bluetooth equipment? Can you buy it in the stores
in the UK? What do you have?

> The phone manufacturers must have finalized their GPRS phone designs by
> now. Since Bluetooth won't be usable in time, it would make sense for
> them to continue to include IRDA.

Or just use IEEE 802.11b :-)

> In addition, you can't just hack together your own Bluetooth stack
> and use it, you need to get it approved which is *very* expensive.

That's ridiculous!

> This is going to make it hard to produce a usable Open Source stack,
> since the approval is for the stack/board/antenna combination.

Hmm, can they stop the community from writing a public domain stack?
The specs seem to be online and open. Do they really want to stop
the BSD, Linux, etc community from supporting Bluetooth?

> I would say that there is still a window of 18-24 months where IRDA
> support will be useful. After that, I would expect the UTMS phones to
> become Bluetooth only.

Yes, I am afraid so. But hopefully a KISS version with higher bandwidth.

	rvdp