Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 2000 17:25:46 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>, Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/games/fortune/datfiles fortunes

Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20000807184441.R29987@argon.gryphonsoft.com> Will Andrews writes:
> : Too bad we're not using perforce.. instead of a jillion links we could
> : just link to a particular "export" (i think that is the term for a
> : certain commit), and from there you could click on diffs that the commit
> : generated.
>
> IIRC, that was Change Number, but I might be wrong.  Perforce, for
> those that don't know, groups changes together and each group of
> changes is given a sequential number.  Generally speaking, one can
> speak of a branch as being at a certain Change Number.  I say
> "Generally" because there are a number of loopholes...

May I offer a few pointers?:

The top level source trees including all branches:
http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/p4db/dtb.cgi?FSPC=depot/FreeBSD&HIDEDEL=NO

A cross referenced file log (including xref to atomic changes that touched
this file:
http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/p4db/flv.cgi?FSPC=//depot/FreeBSD/main/sys/kern/subr_bus.c

One of those atomic changes:  (SEE THIS!)
http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/p4db/chv.cgi?CH=68526

Various other stuff:
http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/p4db/lab.cgi
http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/p4db/p4race.cgi

This p4 depot is a bit out of date.  It was converted from
cvs before usenix.  There are problems with the cvs2p4 script that
have not been resolved yet, but it should give a fair idea of what can
be done.

Consider the possibility of putting a one-line xref to a cgi script in
commit messages. :-)

Cheers,
-Peter