Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:05:53 -0700
From:      "Erin" <Kahn@deadbbs.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Congrats!

> In message
> <002601c0030b$3b7327a0$e815820a@erin-laptop.sdccd.cc.ca.us>
> "Erin" writes:
> : I did a 2.2.8 -> 4.0-STABLE (7/28/2000) with out any problems.
>
> How?

Ok, several people called and asked this question.

I built everything (4.0-STABLE) on a 1Gig drive on another box and mounted
it on the 2.2.8 machine. From there, I just copied everything I needed over.

This machine didn't have too many users on it and I had backed everything up
before I started.

I will be doing my mail server soon, but I will replace the HDD on this when
I do it. For the mail server, I will build a 4.1-STABLE on a 13Gig and copy
the home directories over, rebuild Sendmail and bring it to 8.11 and get all
the AUTH stuff working. When its time for the switch over, I will recopy the
home directories and mail, onto another machine and swap drives and copy
them back.

I realize not everyone can upgrade this way, but it does make it soooooooo
easy.

Erin