Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:19:04 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal: PORTREVISION and PORTEPOCH

--==_Exmh_801383136P

If memory serves me right, Will Andrews wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 06:48:15PM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrot
> e:
> > Um, '.' won't work because PORTEPOCH could be there without
> > PORTREVISION, making it indistinguishable with normal version numbers.
>
> Hehe, oops.  :)

Yes, having unique delimiters makes it substantially easier to parse
these version strings.  I have some code for pkg_version that handles
what Kris was proposing, awaiting further discussion of these ideas.

> > Ok.  I hope you will follow through with it, this wouldn't be the
> > first time (or second time) someone proposed something like
> > this.... ;)
>
> Yeah, I know.  But this time I think I hit the jackpot on how to solve a
> large number of ports problems.  :>
>
> I need to get my thoughts together, so please don't ask me exactly what
> I'm thinking of doing, in any form.  ;)

I'm looking forward to hearing these thoughts, since I need to deal
with them in pkg_version.  (Not that pkg_version was intended to solve
the upgrade problem, but a lot of people sure seem to want to use it as
such, with sometimes disastrous results.)

(If your solution involves replacing pkg_version with something that's
less of a hack, that's fine too.  It's gotten way more use than it
deserves.)

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_801383136P

--==_Exmh_801383136P--