Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:42:32 -0700
From:      "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>
To:        "David Kelly" <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Why is gcc version so old?

The only disadvantage, if i recall correctly is 2.7.2.3 didn't include the
c++ stl, or had some problem problems compiling c++ code. In in eithercase,
if you feel the need to have a newer compiler, you can always go into
/usr/ports/lang and install a newer compiler.

Remember a good portion of the users probably only need a compiler, to
perform a make world, and compile some ports. For these people, a compiler
that will build these sucessfuly is all that's needed. For the select few
that need the features found in the newer versions of gcc, they are probably
savy enough to install their own compiler.

Having said that, remember that 3.x is also "old", as Alfred already pointed
out, 4.x uses 2.95.2, which is sufficient for any compiling i do.

Sameer