Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 14:48:02 -0400
From:      thomas r stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
Cc:        jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bug/Enhancement Handling (was 4.1.1 release)

On 17-Sep-2000, Bill Fumerola popped this into my mailspool:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 12:04:39PM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > > There is a direct correlation between the Submitter being ignored by
> > > the Assigned To and the Submitter ignoring the Assigned To.
>
> This entire thread has us both agreeing on the fact that the existing
> system doesn't work, and we both have little to offer in the way of
> working systems short of chaining committers to workstations feeding them
> bread and water and someone cracking a whip[1].

   Whatever did happen to modernizing the gnats database. I know some
   ideas of Keystone and Bugzilla were thrown around.. Where did that
   get canned?

   I myself think that Mozilla's Bugzilla organization (not necessarily
   the software) works great. A lot of cateogories with a default
   assignee, actual followups being made, scheduled release milestones,
   etc. Theres a few guys reviewing how important stuff is, and all
   around, a lot of responsibility. I need not mention the evil PDT
   crew :) If it means anything, a lot of people are moving to this
   system.. @home, RedHat, LokiGames, etc.. so there is at least some
   support.

   I myself have pretty extensive experience with Keystone, and a bit
   with Bugzilla. While I feel Bugzilla is more tuned for this then
   Keystone, I'd like to see *SOMETHING* done.

   I myself would happily volunteer to help get something setup in this
   regard... just tell me who or what to strangle. GNATS is fine and all,
   I just think something else is needed with the kind of scale we're
   looking at now. I'll even hack at the command-line tools if need be.

   I just think this should be more important to us then we give it
   credit. If this should go in another list, feel free to prod me.

--
thomas r. stromberg                :               tstromberg@rtci.com
senior systems administrator, rtci :      http://www.afterthought.org/