Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:54:39 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@wantadilla.lemis.com>, Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>, Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>, Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mutexes and semaphores (was: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files  src/sys/sys random.h src/sys/dev/randomdev hash.c hash.h harvest

Terry Lambert wrote:

> In the case of a starvation or deadly embrace deadlock, one need
> only get a stack trace of processes currently in the kernel to
> determine where the problem lives; however, an owner would make
> this rather automatic, and could aid debugging, as you say.  I do
> have a problem with this approach, however, since it makes it much
> more likely that people will be sloppy, and then wait for deadlocks
> to be reported, rather than thinking through their code and ensuring
> that deadlocks are not possible in the first place.  The idea that

Just in case you haven't noticed, you just defended lack of debugging
aids on the grounds that people will code better in their absence.

Let's take this opportunity and make us completely incompatible with gdb
too. Without gdb, people will have to think much better about their
code, since debugging will be very hard.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"I demand that my picture show a handsome face, even if it doesn't look
like me."