Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 00:41:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disappearing memory after upgrade

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net> [001009 16:48] wrote:

> > > See LINT for configuration directives to hardwire the amount
> > > of ram in the box.
> > >
> > Too obvious. Crossed my mind but I decided it was too easy a
> > solution. After all, we _were_ talking about a compaq, it _had_ to be
> > something perverse. :)
> >
> > MAXMEM did the trick though. Guess this is what happens when you run BSD
> > on hardware meant to run Win@#%$. Morale: If it works, don't reboot, don't
> > upgrade... don't even touch.
>
> Honestly I think that's not a very good attitude to have, stability
> and security problems pop up at times that _must_ be addressed.
>
> I think more important is to buy from someone that will support
> your BSD installations like BSDi (Telenet systems) and to avoid
> vendors who say "huh???" when you mention BSD.

Nah, I was just being facetious, albeit in a dour, unamusing way. This is
one of two legacy Compaqs on the network. Everything else I've built or
poked at myself so I'm always ready to blame the mystery hardware. Error
detected in void sphere between console and chair. I wouldn't have gotten
into trouble if I weren't so upgrade-happy.

Thanks for the sage advice though... listen to him, folks, not me.

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/