Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:50:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        bv@bilver.wjv.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rackmount Servers

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Bill Vermillion wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 09:55:29AM +0000, Rick Hamell thus spoke:
> > >   Besides, Dell offers three years warranty on their components
> > > standard, so why bother trying to replace something that is
> > > covered under warranty? Pretty much everything is redundant
> > > anyhow.
>
> >  Warranties aren't any good if you're down... the point is to
> > buy stuff that will minimize needing to use the warranty at all.
> > I personally believe that none of the major manufacturers build
> > good enough equipment. I much prefer to buy and piece it together
> > myself.
>
> I'm fairly impressed with the iNTEL 1100R server platform.  The
> BIOS re-direct through the serial port on boot-up can be quite
> handy for a light-out environment if you have a remote capable
> power-switch too.
>
> It's main target is for ISP hosting.  We used to always build our
> own until we found that machine, and I think it will be our
> standard platform.

And with the original requester being on an island somewhere, just send an
extra one or two for hot spares and donor organs. Dell warranties are good
but come-to-the-islands service isn't included. I'll guess that there are
not many office computers you can steal a matching power supply from, thus
providing your own spares is a must. I hope this is obvious - JyW

btw: I've helped with a location where warranties were useless. It was
*almost* always cheaper to buy a new part than to ship the in-warranty
part back. We also used spares in once in a while to ensure they worked.