Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 00:32:20 +0200
From:      Peter van Dijk <peter@dataloss.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Junior Kernel Hacker Task:  M_ZERO

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 06:23:57PM -0400, Peter Dufault wrote:
[snip]
> I guess I'm suggesting a clarification on when you want to set this flag.
> If I want to be sure I get my zeroed out stuff real soon should I use
> still use bzero?

No. What he means is that this 'zeroing process' will happen during
*all* idle time. If you do a malloc and request that the area is zeroed,
it will select an area that it has *already* zeroed. If that is not
available, it will still do the zeroing for you. Adding that flag to a
malloc *guarantees* a zeroed area. The change allows *room for*
optimization.

Greetz, Peter
--
dataloss networks