Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:12:04 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Johan Kruger <jkruger@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Bigbear <freebsduser@sina.com>, "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>, "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Subject:   Re: current hangs when boot

In message <20001023001533.3420.qmail@sina.com> Bigbear writes:
: i update my system from 4.1 to current, when system boot, it hangs when:
: start elf ldconfig: /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib
: why?

This is not a hang, otherwise you would not have been able to boot by
pressing ^C or ^T
The files , especially rc files in /etc are not the newest ones. The
script rc is suppose to use ldconfig to update the library database,
but when it starts it waits. If you bypass this by pressing keys, the
it might happen that you get errors with certain libraries, seeing that
they are not loaded.

So, all you need to do is to take /usr/src/etc and copy rc* /etc
This solved the problem for me. I did a make buildworld and installworld
yesterday and i got the problem on a second reboot.
I had a look in the /etc directory and saw that the files did not install ...
which makes sense since the spec of buildworld/installworld is that the etc dir
is not updated.

I started a make release 25 minutes ago, will see if the end result of a
snapshot will give the same problem.

P.S. After updating your files in /etc, do a shutdown -r now , the shutdown rc
script will take care of the entropy factor next time around.

>> : ^C also works.
>> :
>> : ^T is generally useful if you suspect something is hanging on bootup but
>> : don't know what it is.
>>
>> We also found at bsdcon that lots of keystrokes would also make the
>> system boot.
>
> Which reminds me of the Sun software problem report that had as the
> engineering reply: "Don't hit on the keyboard like a wild monkey" .. :-)

Unix Software Developer/Engineer
E-Mail: Johan Kruger <jkruger@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
Date: 25-Oct-00
Time: 11:02:51
OS: FreeBSD 5.0-20000724-SNAP
All good things come to those who ... run FreeBSD