Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2000 10:10:47 -0500
From:      Neil Ludban <nludban@pokey.salientsystems.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        John Lengeling <johnl@raccoon.com>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems booting with serial console

Mike Smith wrote:

> I think I've nuked your original message (sorry), but this looks like you
> have a BIOS running a screen-scraper video emulation, but don't have the
> bootstrap/loader actually aimed at the serial port.
>
> If that's the case, put
>
> -h
>
> in /boot.config on the boot disk and try again, or if you're not running
> with a filesystem, you'll need to tweak boot2 to set the default console
> to serial.

Yup, this got rid of the escape sequences.  Actually, it got rid of everything.
Rebuilding boot2 with the console on COM2 put it back to normal :-)   It's now
starting BTX (which also needs to be rebuilt for COM2), and says it's loading
the kernel, then the whole system hangs.  On to a new problem...

Thanks for the help.

	--Neil