Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:07:09 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
Cc:        kris@FreeBSD.ORG, rraykov@sageian.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem using sysinstall

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 05:58:13PM -0500, Igor Roshchin wrote:

> I wonder if there is a fundamental reason why /etc needs to be=20
> overwritten, or it is just because the sysinstall is doing so.
> So, is it possible to specify to sysinstall (as an option)
> to put new /etc into some other directory (/var/tmp/etc,
> or whatever) from the very beginning ?

That would require breaking the bin distribution up into bin + etc
(since it's extracted by tar), or special casing it and treating it
differently from all of the other distributions (and extracting it in
two stages). Traditionally bin has been the minimum necessary to get a
working FreeBSD system, if we add an etc that no longer becomes true.

I think the answer is now in the realm of "this is how it's always
worked before, if you want to change it, submit patches" :-)

Kris

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o--