Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:54:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com (Marc van Woerkom)
Cc:        bp@butya.kz, marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSDOS FS and flock?

> > 	Yes, msdosfs doesn't implement advisory locks. Attached you'll
> > find a diff against recent -current (but should work on -stable
> > too) which adds necessary VOP to msdosfs.
>
> Thank you very much for that patch.
> I will give it a try.
> As it does not look esoteric, is there a reason why it is not
> in -CURRENT?

It's really the wrong approach going forward, since it means that
the work has to be duplicated (with the possibility of error) for
each and every VFS that is ever implemented.

It's also very hard to implement every little detail for every
VFS, since not only is there the possibility of duplication
error, there are enough VFS' that keeping all of them synchronized
is a big job.

This type of thing really falls through the cracks all the time,
unless it is implemented in common code.

If you get into it in any detail, you'll see that root mounts
aren't supported on many VFS types, either, and that there are
similar caveats elsewhere (like the special device, named pipe,
socket, and FIFO ownership and permissions issues I noted before).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.