Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:08:47 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Parallel ZIP patch for better mode detection

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 08:51:32AM +0100, Nicolas Souchu wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 07:45:23PM +0100, flag wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Nicolas Souchu wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Here is a patch against -stable /sys/dev/ppbus for better ZIP/ZIP+
> > > mode detection. I've tested ZIP, but don't have any ZIP+ :(
> > >
> > > Could some of you approve vpo and imm drivers for me?
> >
> > Can I gain any speed-boost installing this patch?
> >
> > The big problem with the parallel zip is that, while you are transferring
> > data from/to the zip, the copy process get the 100% of the cpu and the
> > system stay unusable until the end of the zip operation...very sad...=(
>
> That's normal. The ZIP is designed so that it can run only in polling mode :(
>
> You should get better speed and reactivness of your machine if you use
> EPP mode (which is polled also but faster).
>
> Nicholas

Yes, but i have two machines on which running the parallel port in EPP mode
and using vpo works but is incredibly slow. Moreover the machine is
essentially unusable during the transfers with the zip. One of these machines
duals boot Linux, and here the zip works very well, almost at the same speed
that a scsi zip that i have on a third machine. During the transfers the
machine keeps its responsiveness. So i conclude that the driver has its
responsibility in this affair :)

To be precise the port is probed as EPP1.9 in both cases. I have looked at
the vpio.c file and it seems that EPP1.9 is not used in the best possible way.
On the other hand i have also looked at the Linux driver, and have not seen
big difference in the way the transfer is done. So i have not been able to
improve anything. I take advantage of the presence of the developer in the
mailing list to attract its attention to this question. To me, the behaviour
of the Zip on FreeBSD is by far the worst bad point of FreeBSD with respect to
Linux. I have seen many messages from people with laptops in which only ECP
mode is available, and for them the // port Zip does not work at all. But
in many cases // port Zip is the only practical way to transfer files from
home machines to office machines and so on. It should not be neglected.

Best regards

--
Michel Talon