Date:      Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:57:02 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        dmaddox@sc.rr.com
Cc:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just how standard is APM?

In message <20010105024436.A2700@cae88-102-101.sc.rr.com> "Donald J . Maddox" writes:
: Yeah, I thought that APM was APM, but the apm device does nothing
: on my desktop with power management hardware...  That is, things like
: 'shutdown -p now' don't work, both 'apm' and 'apmd' just return
: 'device not configured', etc.  Interestingly, at least 'shutdown -p'
: does work with ACPI anyway :)  Of course, maybe I'm just misunder-
: standing the whole thing anyway...  Is power management hardware
: == APM?

No.  APM is a BIOS interface.  Many BIOSes that have ACPI have legacy
APM support.  Some work, some don't.  Windows (98 and newer) uses ACPI
in preference to APM, so the testing that APM mode gets is usually
meager at best.

Warner