Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:17:35 -0500
From:      Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS_ROOT not working when using a Netapp server

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 12:27:31PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

> What did you use to actually create your exported /dev on the NetApp in
> the first place?  Encoding of device major/minor numbers is funky with
> NFS, and FreeBSD only does NFSv2 for the root filesystem by default
> (which makes matters even worse).

I created the client's /dev entries by mounting the netapp from
another FreeBSD box, chroot'ing to the top of the client's root tree,
then "cd /dev && sh MAKEDEV all".

However, this was done with an NFS V3 mount and as you observed,
FreeBSD uses NFSv2 for the root.  After repeating this same same
procedure using an NVSv2 mount to the Netapp, the major/minor numbers
look a whole lot better and it now works just fine.

It's odd, though, that the NFSv2 and NFSv3 handle these aspects of of
the inode so differently.  I wonder if this is a bug, and if so, is it
Netapp's or ours?  It is interesting to note that this mangling does
not occur when FreeBSD is both the client and the server.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
bsd@FreeBSD.org