Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:33:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
To:        Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
Cc:        Steven Looman <fsteevie@dds.nl>, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: turning on isplink via another computer

> Well... I don't quite understand the difference between "any of your users
> can cause any amount of phone bills" and "any of your users can cause any
> amount of phone bills"...

In an environment with lots of Win9x machines it's nearly impossible to quiet
down them appropriately. They will cause random nameserver lookups with
bogus names every few minutes.

Of course Unix machines don't do that if configured appropriately. And even
NT/Win2K machines can be configured to be well behaved.

So the difference is: allow your users to intentionally cause bills when
ever they like vs. allow them to cause this unintentionally.

What I did was replace the link to the browser on the desktop by my program,
which spawned the browser after voting the connection up, waited for the
browser process to finish and then vote the connection down. This way you
could even start a download, close the browser and after the download finished
the process would terminate and the connetion eventually be disconnected.

Martin