Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 12:43:56 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        "jdls" <jdls@apu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a quick question

On 1/28/01, 3:57:01 AM, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote regarding Re: =

a quick question:

> On Saturday, 27 January 2001 at 18:53:29 -0800, jdls wrote:
> >
> >   I would like to know if freebsd supports a feature of debian like
> > "apt-get dist-uprade" wherein the libs,packages, etc are upraded
> > automatically and via the net. In debian, you can always have the
> > latest release just by doing this so you won't have to be stuck with=

> > an older version and thus, save money,time, etc in the "upgrade". I
> > have waded in some of the freeBSD documentation and I came across
> > "uprading via the CVS repository"...hmmm...

The updating model is different, both in form and spirit: under=20
FreeBSD, you update from sources. The details are found in the=20
[on-line] handbook.=20

Incidentally, I don't know what are the exact "boundary conditions"=20
under which Debian's updating process actually works. OTOH, FreeBSD's=20
mechanism not only concerns the sources, but also ensures that you can=20
even update when there are changes to the *toolchain* itself.=20

Provided that you read the appropriate documentation (the "Cutting=20
Edge" in the handbook, /usr/src/UPDATING), that you track the -stable=20
forum, and that... you pay attention to what you are doing, updating=20
from sources is not very difficult.

HTH,
Salvo