Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:45:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suboptimal mmap of devices on i86

    I like it, with some minor tweaks.  I recommend:

	* name the new function vm_map_findspace2() (or something similarly
	  short.

	* change all callers of vm_map_findspace() to instead call
	  vm_map_findspace2() directly.

	* depreciate the original vm_map_findspace() entirely (get rid of
	  it rather then supplying a compatibility function).

    The name change is to ensure that out of date loadable modules
    don't try to use the new function with the wrong arguments.  Better
    to get a kld error then to crash.

						-Matt

:On i86 boxes with 4M page capabilities, we want contiguous chunks
:of physical address space for mmaped devices to use those larger pages
:when possible.
:
:In practice, this doesn't happen in applications linked with shared
:libraries when mmap() is used in the usual way with 0 as the address
:argument and no MAP_FIXED flag.
:...