Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 2001 11:59:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Suboptimal mmap of devices on i86

On 02-Feb-01 Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 11:16:15AM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:

> [snip]
>> >
>> > NAME
>> >      syscall, __syscall - indirect system call
>> >
>> > ..as used in src/lib/libc/sys/*.c.
>>
>> I'm not renaming that function.  I'm renaming syscall2() in
>> sys/i386/i386/trap.c, which is an internal function only used
>> by the kernel for the kernel side of syscall entry.
>
> *Oof*.  Yeah, that's a heavy cluebat, but I did deserve the smack.

Not necessarily.  Heavy cluebats are not always conducive to encouraging
new developers. :-/  But that wasn't _that_ heavy of a cluebat. :)
FWIW, on the alpha and ia64, we still use just syscall() as the name of
the function in the kernel (of course, they don't support MP safe syscalls
yet.)  Why a) we worried about an API change in -current and b) only did
this for one architecture in light of the fact that all archs will have
MP safe syscalls RSN is beyond me...