Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 22:09:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        <cmdrpc@att.net>
Cc:        <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Looking for comments on hardware

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 cmdrpc@att.net wrote:

>  1. Has anyone used the ABIT AB-KT7A motherboard with an
> Athlon 800 enhanced or faster processor?

I haven't personally, but have seen several good comments about this board
including some review sites.

>  2.  I have heard that the Athlon processors run very hot
> is there any special consideration I should give to the
> case are two fans enough to keep the system cool?

Get a good case with good cooling. One such case is the funkai 603, but
there are many others.

>  3.  Is anyone running a motherboard with DDR SDRAM and
> is it worth the cost?

From what I have read, and have seen about 4 threads on this, performance
is marginal and not worth the money.

> All comment/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> cmdrpc

If this is for a server type of application I recommend a board with ECC.
So far I have only found one board that supports ECC and Athlon. I should
be getting it tomorrow so I would be able to confirm that the board indeed
supports ecc. The board is FIC AZ11 or the newer AZ11E.