Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:50:13 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/share/mk sys.mk

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 11:48:05AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 01:27:54PM -0500, mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:
> > > BTW, may be -mcpu=${MACHINE_CPU} can be added to the default CFLAGS now?
> >
> > I am nervous about this on the Alpha unless very well tested.  We all
> > know that an ev4 system as the ev4 cannot handled ev56-only instructions.
>
> This applies to the i386 as well (i386 can't handle i586 instructions)

-mcpu doesn't affect the instruction set used on i386's.  It takes -march
to affect it.  Similarly for many other target machines.  The alpha seems
to be different here (it doesn't have -march).  Our MACHINE, MACHINE_ARCH
and MACHINE_CPU are sort rotated compared with the gcc -march and -mcpu:

    MACHINE       is similar to  -march
    MACHINE_ARCH  is similar to  -mcpu
    MACHINE_CPU   is more specialized

Bruce