Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:37:36 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Jim Mock <mij@osdn.com>
Cc:        Abc Xyz <abc@groggy.anc.acsalaska.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Borked XFree86-3.3.6 dependencies in packages (Re: X 3.3.6_7)

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 08:58:11AM -0500, Jim Mock wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 at 04:21:36 -0900, Abc Xyz wrote:
> > many packages are looking for XFree86-3.3.6_7 ...
> > and they say that it is "required" ...
> >=20
> > and only the 4 series is available.
> >=20
> > what happened to 3.3.6_7?
>=20
> Uh, nothing.  Look in your ports tree, specifically at=20
> /usr/ports/x11/XFree86...
>=20
>     PORTNAME=3D       XFree86
>     PORTVERSION=3D    3.3.6
>     PORTREVISION=3D   7

But it's not built as a package, and by default the packages which use
X try and register a dependency for it.  Either we need to complete
the transition to using XFree86-4 or provide an XFree86-3.3.6 package,
and if possible, deal with the fact that people may have either of
them installed, and get the dependency registration to work properly
without complaining about missing packages and causing pkg_add -r to
always fail.

Kris

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

--liOOAslEiF7prFVr--