Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 20:34:10 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        nino@inode.at
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dead link problems (with crossover cable)

Hi,
"Marinos J . Yannikos" wrote:
> I seem to have a non-reproducible but reoccurring problem:
>
> Host A: single CPU, Intel 443GX+ board with D-Link DFE-530TX ('vr')
>         Runs FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE
>         Has a Mylex ExtremeRAID 1100, no other PCI cards.
>
> Host B: SMP system, dual Intel 82557 on-board ethernet
>         SuSE Linux 7.0
>
> They are connected with a crossover cable, both ends set to 100mbps
> full-duplex.

Mode Byte maybe ?

I had back-to-back direct wired FBSD-3.4 systems (with 3com cards) last
summer that sometimes started in the wrong mode, (admittedly, not in mid
use like you).  I guessed mine was a 10/100 thing, & by asserting the media
byte (man xl to see one example of a `media' byte, but better see manual
for your card), the problem went away.

Presumably either end forces a bandwidth re-evaluation at least at
every reboot/reset if not more often, so it's probably worth forcing
the media asertion byte if available, rather than trusting to any
auto-negotiation of 10/100/full/half etc.

I recall for top speed, all 8 wires need to exist, but for
slower modes less wires will do ? If you want to investigate what
different 100M modes either end might be attempting, here's clues
from my notes in:
	http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/standards/rs232.v24
		Halsall Book:
		      100Base4T=UTP=Unshielded Twisted pair Cat3 33.3Mbps/pair
		      100BaseX= STP=  Shielded Twisted pair Cat5
		http://margo.student.utwente.nl/stefan/hwb/hwb.html
		http://www.obbit.se/~mike/wordlist.htm#patchcord

It's been a while since I looked at 100 modes, & I've got a cold,
so no more energy to check things, but hope some of the above might help,
Good Luck.

Julian
-
Julian Stacey     Unix Consultant - Munich Germany     http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
        Considering Linux ?     Try FreeBSD with 4500 packages !
 Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Kau/Schnupftabak probieren !
  Vintage Computer Fest Europa  28&9 Apr 2001  http://www.vintage.org/vcfe