Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:33:52 -0700
From:      "alex huppenthal" <alex@aspenworks.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ATM and FreeBSD 4.2

I must admit it's pretty cool to be working with FreeBSD and ATM. The
article in daemon news was terrific and it appears that ATM / Forerunner PCI
card is well supported in 3.5 FreeBSD.

4.2 current does not appear to support the card. Perhaps because of the
buffer handling re-write? See the end of this email for details of how it is
broken.

I'm in a minor pickle, since I'd like to use the drivers for the Dell PERC
which are in the FreeBSD 4.2 current OS, and the HARP 3.0 Fore ATM drivers
from FreeBSD 4.2.

I've now pretty much exhausted the FreeBSD Mail archives, the /examples/atm,
the HARP site, and general web research.

Seems like 4.2 or 5, with ATM support would be cool. I'm willing to work
with whomever would like to make this combination work.

I've recently read in the Email archives that people have been experimenting
with fixing the driver, but no single fix appears to make thing work.

How it's broken:

I have a complete circuit made with PVC's VPI 0 and VCI 200 (looks like only
VPI zero is supported, in case you are working your end)

 4.2-current FreeBSD system OC3 Fore PCA200E  connected to
 PSAX packetstar switch
 Carrier ATM cloud
 ForeRunner Switch
 Lucent Access Point 1000

 Cell tests from the PSAX show cells arriving at  the AP-1000.
 Ping tests from the FreeBSD 4.2 result in PDU's arriving at the far end
AP-1000.
 Cell monitors show cells arriving at the PSAX from the AP-1000
 4.2 indicates it isn't receiving any octets or PDUs.

 The receiver portion of things appears to broken in 4.2 FreeBSD with the
hfa0 Fore PCA-200E OC3 adapter, the HARP 3.0 code using the sigpvc or uni3.1
signalling manager.

-----

 oh, please oh, please, don't send me over to the Linux ATM camp. :-)