Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 23:24:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        Steve Price <steve@havk.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/24383: libtool, USE_LIBTOOL, and graphics/dia

On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Steve Price wrote:
>> Should this PR really be closed?
> I think so.  The ports collection is meant to be used as a whole.
> Using it by extracting a single port and trying to build it without
> all of the dependency ports where it can find them would be like
> removing the driver seat from your car, placing it in your driveway,
> sitting down on it, and expecting to drive your seat to the store
> for beer.

Well, it's not that clear. For one, most of the time it does work. And the
reason I was led to believe it ought to work (especially as USE_LIBTOOL)
is the fact that the CVSup config files have a very finely grained
structure.

> If you still think the ports collection mechanism is broken or somehow
> flawed then please supply patches to ports/bsd.*.mk as appropriate
> that fixes the problem you are seeing and we'll be happy to review
> them and get them committed.

I certainly won't waste my time submitting any patch to ports/bsd.*.mk
as long as this part of FreeBSD is micro-managed as it currently is:

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?responsible=asami

There *are* already *lots* of patches for ports/bsd.*.mk -- unreviewed
and uncomitted. :-(

Just one example:  http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=8063

  Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-ports->asami
  Responsible-Changed-By: asami
  Responsible-Changed-When: Mon Sep 28 04:47:33 PDT 1998
  Responsible-Changed-Why:
  My area.

Frustrating.

Gerald