Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:59:24 -0000
From:      "Clem Dye" <clem@bastet.com>
To:        <hm@hcs.de>, "Hellmuth Michaelis" <hm@hcs.de>, "Clem Dye" <clem@bastet.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help! What am I missing trying to get ISDN4BSD to play?

Hellmuth:

Thanks very much for the prompt reply. Taking the points in turn.

1) BACKUP files - OK I'll leave well alone.

2) I don't like seeing warning messages, hence my comment. Given that I'm
re-building effectively the GENERIC kernel + ISDN bits, this is out-of-the-box
stuff, as it were. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

3) After posting my message to the list, I touched the holidays file - that
sorted that problem.

At this point, when I re-tried I would get a 'no route to host' message when
trying to ping something. Would entries in /etc/resolv.conf help here?

Just to be clear, am I on the right track? Are my config. files OK (so far)? I
start the isdnd daemon, then run my connection script, then nothing happens.
BTW, is it possible to run isdnd via a terminal window under the KDE 1.x
desktop? I tried, but again, failed miserably. Sigh.

What's confusing me a bit is trying to work-out what I should actually be
doing. I was expecting using the basic ISDN4BSD stuff to be able to ping a
non-local IP address (ie: on the 'net somewhere) as the basic message of
success, so that I knew I had the basic set-up correct, then add the extra
stuff. I sort of concluded that I'd have to use userland stuff too, but at
present I can't prove-out the basic set-up, so messing around with userland
bits seems pointless. For instance, I don't think that I'm dialling out. From
memory, isdntest gave a 'cause 17' message when I used it, but without wading
through the source it's pretty meaningless.

What compounds the issue is having to dual-boot back into Windows 2000 to post
messages. A lot of useful stuff isn't up for grabs in this scenario, which
makes problem-solving just that bit more difficult!

I will certainly work through your suggestions, but any additional help would
be most welcome. I think that I'm pretty close, but so far, no cigar! Unless I
can get this bit working, I'm going to be stuck in Windoze land forever!

Best regards

Clem

Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de> said:

<snip - text deleted>