Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:54:06 -0800
From:      Chris Sears <cbsears@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, ps@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ecc kld for FreeBSD 4.2

Mike (and Paul)

> I'm fixing this so that it doesn't use the 2.x PCI compatibility
> interface; there's a lot of other real ugliness in here, some of which is
> probably worth throwing out.

I'm not exactly sure what you meant here.  Do you mean the pci_readcfg calls?
I thought they were low-level rather than compatibility.  If not that, what?

> The lack of an NMI handler is actually really poor, but fortunately, easy
> to deal with.

Linux has the same problem: adding an NMI handler from a module
is a little tricky.  It has been on the TODO list.

If logging the ECC NMI (sans address) is sufficient, then the ECC NMI handler
could be made generic and can be written/check-in in parallel with this effort.
(In fact, I think that minimal patch should be done now.)
Otherwise you have to install a more specific handler.
In any case, I want to see Paul Saab's code.

> There's a decision to be made here with regards to this code.
>
> If it's OK to relicense it under the BSDL, it should be integrated with
> the i386 hostbridge code (ie. not a KLD at all).  If we do that, tracking
> the Linux module is going to be a little bit more work (but not a lot).
>
> If it's not OK, then it'll need to be maintained separately (or
> rewritten, which wouldn't be too hard).

Yuck, I hate dueling license issues but I guess I've signed up for this.
I'll contact/work with Dan Hollis about this.  I'm somewhat bi-lingual.

> At any rate, I'll contact you once I've fixed the attachment code; it's
> pretty simple.  You might also want to talk to Paul Saab (ps@freebsd.org)
> who has ECC code for FreeBSD already, including some NMI support.

I looked in ~ps but unfortunately didn't see anything ECC related.
But I will send him a note.  In fact, I'll copy him on this.

thanks,

Chris