Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:28:56 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@messagingdirect.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp - the real point

At 06:35 AM 03/14/2001, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
>-On [20010310 01:00], Lyndon Nerenberg (lyndon@messagingdirect.com) wrote:
> >Perhaps a first step towards leaning on the vendors for documentation
> >is to publically declare our support for those vendors who *do*
> >release documentation under reasonable terms. One way to do this
> >is to acknowledge those vendors in the hardware section of the
> >handbook, and encourage people to support them by buying thier
> >products.

Typically companies that are quick to release docs are the weaker
companies, because they need sales or dont have a clear target market. Plus
the best technologies are usually proprietary at least in the beginning of
their deployment.

So your strategy will guarantee alignment with many mediocre products and
few of the best, which doesnt seem to be in the best interests of anyone.

Telling people that they cant use Intel or 3com cards will more likely
drive them to other OSes then hurt either of the fore mentioned companies.

A better strategy would be to welcome ALL vendors AND binary distributions
(who may release source under NDA if they chose) so that the best products
could be available for FreeBSD without the adversity of the
"geek-revolution" that you propose.

>That's what Soeren and me did.  HighPoint was very forthcoming with
>documentation and as part of that synergy they put the FreeBSD Hardware
>logo on their frontpage <http://www.highpoint-tech.com>; and us
>mentioning it on our webpages as well as being a primary recommendation
>over other vendors back when we got little information out of other
>vendors.

I'm sure that High-point's competitors are shivering in their boots over
this powerful alliance.

DB

Emerging Technologies, Inc.

http://www.etinc.com
ISA and PCI T1/T3/V35/HSSI Cards for FreeBSD and LINUX
Multiport T1 and HSSI/T3 UNIX-based Routers
Bandwidth Management Standalone Systems
Bandwidth Management software for LINUX and FreeBSD