Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 02:38:26 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting with modules

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 02:29:30AM -0600, Andrew Hesford wrote:
> Well... I know that xl and dc get along just fine, since the packets you
> have received that constitute this message passed through a
> firewally/router using xl0 and dc0 as the two network interfaces.

I know they work together after you get the modules loaded, because I'm
writing to you from the same machine with the Internet on xl0.  They are
both loaded now, it's just that something funny is going on when they are
loaded via loader/kernel/whatever.

> Have you built a kernel with all these options built in? Is there still
> trouble? Why do you need /boot/loader to load them right away? Won't the
> kernel automatically load the modules the first time they are used?

Aren't you testimonial that they work together in a kernel?  The problem
involves modules, not the drivers, as far as I can tell.  I want to have
them booted with loader because I can.  Does there have to be a reason for
using a feature of FreeBSD, and do you have to justify wanting it to work
the way it is intended?

> I've always believed in the one-giant-kernel point of view. Most things,
> definitely NIC drivers, should be built right into the kernel. Try this
> first. If recognition still fails, maybe you have broken or conflicting
> hardware.

Again, it isn't hardware.  I am not sure where I stand on whether
monolithic or modular kernels are better, but I know one thing.  That one
thing I know is that this isn't working and it should be.  That, in my
opinion, is justification enough to write to this list and see what can be
found to fix it so it is in working order.  I can't imagine I'm the only
person who will ever have all their modules in /boot/loader.conf, and do
you want to turn away every person who does this and just say "Build a
monolithic kernel?"

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: 77042C7B
smkelly@zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org

For PGP key, send e-mail with subject "send pgp key"