Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:06:47 -0500
From:      Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
To:        FreeBSD-STABLE@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: microuptime() went backwards

Scott Lambert wrote:

> I have just encounterred the microuptime() went backwards issue on my
> dual PPro 200 box.  I have not changed the operating system at all.
>
> What I have done is change the video card (an ATI Expert 98, PCI), and
> compiled XFree86-4.0.3 from ports.  I had not used X on this box before.
> I then installed X, ran xf86cfg, and exitted xf86cfg.  At this point
> I had 5 microuptime errors all during the same second.  I then tried
> to run X but it did not work.  I had one microuptime error.  I ran
> xf86cfg again and created 6 more microuptime errors.  Again all
> errors happened in the same second.
>
> I am rebuilding this history from the log files.  I did not pay a lot
> of attention to the error messages at the time because I knew I had
> seen the errors mentioned on the mailling lists and assumed I could
> fix it later.
>
> Two minutes later I have another 5 messages in one second.  I think I
> editted the XF86Config file by hand in those two minutes then popped
> back into xf86cfg to check some things.  After that it gets fuzzy.
>
> It seems that they only happenned while playing with xf86cfg or xvidtune.
> Most of the errors in my log showed up during the time that I think I
> was playing with xvidtune.  During those times there were many more
> than 5 microuptime errors per second.  Or maybe it just happens while
> actively doing something in X.  I have spent the rest of the day
> building GNOME from ports.  It was still building when I left work.
> I did use X after the errors end but I was simply runinig top in an
> xterm or installing xscreensaver in an xterm.  (xscreensaver didn't
> want to work, I'm waiting for GNOME to use the GUI config rather than
> read the manual tonight.  It was time for dinner anyway.)
>
> Now, I've searched the mailing lists and found two recommendations that
> don't seem to apply to me, and thoughts that microuptime errors may
> be related to certain Abit mobo's or even AMD processors.  I'm posting
> this for data that it is not necessarily limited to the newer AMD
> related hardware and that APM may not be directly related.
>
> APM has never been compiled into the kernel on this machine.  The
> sysctl variable is set to what was reccomended:
>
> $ sysctl kern.timecounter.method
> kern.timecounter.method: 0
>
> Could the video card be busmastering too long and not allowing the
> kernel to get timer readings on time?  ie. a bus contention issue?

I just started getting them on an older AMD K6-II powered server.
Strange that they just appereared now. I haven't done a buildworld on it
in a while.. maybe 2 months or so but I did do a cvsup/kernelbuild a few
weeks ago. I rebooted and so far nothing yet...28 hours. I did a recent
HD upgrade but that was at least 2 months ago.I would think the problem
wouuld have surfaced sooner. My settings are the same for APM.

--
Ted Sikora
Jtl Development Group