Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:50:49 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jan Chrillesen <jan@chrillesen.dk>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, morten@skriver.dk
Subject:   Re: Aironet in -current

--==_Exmh_-511279473P

If memory serves me right, Jan Chrillesen wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:
>
> > Well, "infrastructure" is the mode you want in order to talk to an AP,
> > so it sounds like a pretty good bet that this is what you want.
> >
> > You will probably also want to find out what the proper SSID ("network
> > name") is.
>
> Thanks, that was what I missed. I juest guessed that the default value
> of ANY matched, well..., any SSID. Thanks to Jesper as well.

Just a quick note:  Recent -CURRENT and -STABLE versions of the an(4)
driver default to infrastructure mode.  I think the same goes for the
wi(4) driver too.

I also have some dim recollections of doing "ancontrol -n ''" to set the
SSID to an empty string, and having the card automagically figure out
the SSID to use.  The Cisco APs can be configured to disable this
behavior (so that the NIC needs to be configured explicitly with the
AP's SSID).

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-511279473P

--==_Exmh_-511279473P--