Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:53:39 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fstab weirdness / UPDATING

Hello,

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 10:49:22PM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > I've had that problem on one box also -- when the boot occurs, my /var
> > partition is not fsck'd.  It's the second pass-two file system, which
> > means that it *should* be checked :-).  I suspect a nit in the recent fsck
> > cleanup, so I'm CC'ing phk, whose mailbox is obviously too empty.
>
> I think I'm seeing the same thins...
>
> At boot I see a kernel printf "warning: /var was not properly
> dismounted" then /var mounts.  If I unmount it and fsck it it's
> dirty.

I saw something similar too, but did not get around to posting yet because
I wanted to understand what's going on. On boot, I see only two of my
partitions being reported as clean, and not the others. After this, all of
them are mounted allright. (They happen to be ad0s1a and ad0s1f don't know
why...) I don't know if it causes filesystem corruption, because it is my
policy to always 'boot -s' upon unclean shutdown and fsck all partitions
manually. (In fact I just did it again because X has a tendency to freeze
the machine off and on for unknown reasons... maybe related?) If this is an
fsck problem, then I figured there was no big problem if your previous
shutdown was clean... am I right? Or maybe there is a problem with shutdown
too that fsck simply doesn't notice? Brrr...:-)

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University