Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:13:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Bristow <mike@urgle.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, Jeremiah Gowdy <data@dualcpus.com>
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD's FFS/dirpref/softupdates improvements

On 19-Apr-01 Mike Bristow wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 08:57:37AM -0700, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:
>> "Two aspects of the FFS filesystem in OpenBSD have received significant
>> improvements since 2.8, increasing performance dramatically. Thanks to art,
>> gluk, csapuntz, and a host of other developers and testers, Soft Updates are
>> now much more stable than ever before. The second improvement, contributed
>> by gluk@openbsd.org, is a new directory allocation policy (codenamed
>> "dirpref"). Coupled with soft updates, the new dirpref code offers up to a
>> 60x speed increase in gluk's tests, documented here:"
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=dirpref&num=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rnum=2&;
>> seld=905073910&ic=1
>>
>> Does anyone know anything about this ?
>
> Commited to -current about 10 April.
>
> I suspect that Jordan would shoot someone who suggested a MFC before
> 4.3 is out.

It needs more work, too.  If you try to use an old fsck with the new kernel,
then the old fsck will clobber some new variables in the superblock.  Then the
new kernel will panic later on instead of doing a sanity check on the new
values in the superblock and falling back to defaults if they are bogus.  This
is a major POLA bug and the changes shouldn't go into 4.x unless this is fixed.
This breaks the recommended method of updating stable by doing the installworld
after rebooting into a new kernel.