Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:42:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Peter C. Wallace" <pcw@mesanet.com>
To:        <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The ultimate board!

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <200104192226.PAA21832@mina.soco.agilent.com> Darryl Okahata writes:
> :      ... but, you can't assume even wear.  Don't directory entries,
> : etc., get written in the same place, over and over?  What about
> : superblocks?
>
> You can assume even wear becahse wear averaging is in the CF hardware.
> There's a pool of extra blocks that are used to average the wear.  At
> least that's what the CF propiganda says from SandDisk.

	Thats what the data sheet for the CF controller chips (Toshiba)
that we use says also. The extra blocks are not for wear leveling, thats
taken care of by having enough free space. The free blocks are for
remapping newly developed bad blocks: so called "grown"  defects.
	The Toshiba controller chip implements wear leveling, bad block
forwarding and ECC. So basically if you leave enough free space on the
drive for your frequently written files to "rotate" through. You can have
_very_ long life. The internal flash format the Toshiba uses is published
(its the same as the SmartMedia format)

> Warner

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-small" in the body of the message

Peter Wallace