Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2001 14:00:29 +0200
From:      Thomas Seck <tmseck@web.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3-RELEASE kernel freeze(message dumped by ahc driver?)

On Apr 28 2001, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> In message <3AEB08BD.BD686DBE@home.com>, cjm88@home.com writes:
> > I have seen similar messages on adaptec hardware.  It was quite mystifying
> > because at first I thought there might
> [edited]
>
> I'm not sure whether this is relevant or not.  My problem when I had it
> appeared to be different.
>
> You may want to take a look at the following,
>
> http://www.scsifaq.org/dev_probs.html

I will have a look at it, thank you for the pointer.

> When I purchased my PIII/933 on an ASUS CUSL2-C motherboard about 2-3
> weeks ago, replacing an aging P120, my system would on occasion hang.
> There were no messages to syslog.  I was able to reproduce it almost at
> will with a lot of I/O to my Zip 100 drive, though any amount of I/O to
> any drive on the SCSI bus would randomly produce the hang.  Then I
> discovered the URL above.  Not wanting to spend $$$ on a new PCI SCSI
> adapter, fiddled around with the BIOS settings, finally disabling the
> PCI 2.1 in the BIOS, which I assume limits the MB to the PCI 2.0
> protocol.  Since disabling the PCI 2.1 setting in the BIOS I've
> experienced no hangs.  The system's been extremely stable.

Maybe this will help too. I will examine on wednesday, whether the box
of my PR has "survived" the long weekend (labour day in Germany).

I am still not quite sure, whether the problem had been triggered by
Justins driver MFCs; I did upgrade the box too early to 4.3.

Regards,
Thomas Seck