Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 15:35:33 -0700
From:      "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>
To:        vishwanath pargaonkar <vishubp@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, boshea@ricochet.net
Subject:   Re: how shd i crash dump kernel

Vishwanath,

What you did is correct.  Unfortunately, you need to have a dump
device configured before your system panics.  If it is not configured
at the time of a panic, no crash dump is saved.  The only thing you
can do now is hope that the problem happens again.  You might be able
to help this along by attempting to re-create the situation that
caused the panic in the first place.  Do you remember what you were
doing on this system when the panic occurred?  Can you cause it to
happen again?

If you can reproduce this problem easily, you should try building a
debug kernel.  This will provide even more debugging information about
the problem, if it happens again.  Instructions on how to do this can
be found in the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/kerneldebug.html

-brian

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 08:00:24AM +0100, vishwanath pargaonkar wrote:
> Hi,
> i have freebsd 4.2 release.
> i installed my changed new kernel(with modifications
> in source).
> since it had problem it crashed at begining saying
> panic page fault etc..
> now i want to debug this kernel.
> so i enabled  dumpdev = my swap partition in
> /etc/rc.conf . and rebooted.
> this time i started my original working kernel in
> single user mode. and then gave
> savecore -N /kernel.that.panicked /var/crash.
> but this said no core.
> y is this? tell me how shd i make my kernel to dump
> core so that i analyse it.
>
> tell me if procedure i followed was right?

Brian O'Shea
<boshea@ricochet.net>