Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 10:02:28 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, brent@kearneys.ca
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src UPDATING

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 10:38:27PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> imp         2001/05/13 22:38:25 PDT
>
>   Modified files:        (Branch: RELENG_4)
>     .                    UPDATING
>   Log:
>   Note that threaded perl breaks mod_perl.

> +20010402:
> +       It appears that PERL_THREADED=true in /etc/make.conf is not
> +       compatible with mod_perl.  Not sure the exact date of this problem,
> +       but it post dates 4.2 and predates 4.3.

>   Submitted by: Brent Kearney <brent@kearneys.ca>

I guess that this problem has little to do with modifications in -stable
perl, and is probably related to a changed mod_perl version.

This is not particularly important, however.  What is important, is the
fact that threaded perl, *especially* in -stable, is evil and breaks a
lot of things.  I emphasize -stable here since threaded 5.6.0 in
-current is compiled with different, more forgiving threading options
and hence is not that dangerous.

People on perl5-porters mailing list call this the `5.005 threads
disaster'.

I don't know how this is relevant to UPDATING, but I am sure that the
appropriate comment in /etc/defaults/make.conf is in order.

Cheers,
=Anton.
--
May the tuna salad be with you.