Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 16:04:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Aaron Hill" <fbsdlist@futureuse.net>
To:        wash@wananchi.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to recompile just tftpd?

> Have you ever built your systems from the sources?

Yes, many times. I haven't done too many recompilations of seperate pieces
of FreeBSD sources though - like just the tftp daemon.

> By default, there is a tftpd in FreeBSD. All I did the other day was to
> enable it in 3 steps:

Yes, that is the tftpd I'm referring to.

> The only thing you have to note is that for you to upload a file to the
> tftpd server, the filename MUST first exist! If you wanna load a file
> named wash.test, then cd /usr/tftp && touch wash.test && chown
> nobody:nogroup wash.test.

The reason of my original email is because I've changed the source of tftpd
to break that "file must exist first" rule. It's a bit hard (and
inconvienient) to make the file from a Cisco router before uploading it.
Our tftp server is in a relatively trusted environment and I'm sure this
won't cause us any problems.

> Hope that helps.

Not directly but I appreciate your response anyway.

BTW - After a bit more experimenting I couldn't figure out why the make
process was generating the error but it seems it's irrelevant anyway. Doing
a make then make install does make and install the updated tfpd even though
some errors are generated.

Thanks

Aaron