Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 16:01:33 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Jim Bayers <bayers@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions. 4.1 to RELENG_4

> Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:42:04 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jim Bayers <bayers@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Also, I got a little confused using mergemaster.  I
> kept selecting 'm=merge' and kept picking the right
> side item--unless I saw something obvious.  At the end
> of the document, I would install.
>
> I read an article saying that it should go faster,
> what am I doing wrong?

Unless the file is one that you have modified, the normal response to
mergemaster is 'i'. If it is a file you have modified, you will
usually want 'm'. /etc/printcap is about the only file I ever run into
that is I have to worry about merging.

When you use the merge option, you do want to ALWAYS take the right
entry for the RCS version line. Other than that, take the right unless
it involves a change you have made or have a good reason to do
otherwise.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)