Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 05:44:51 +0200
From:      clemensF <rabat@web.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Build failure (long), was Re: Kernel Build Failure in kern/subr_disk.c
References:  <3B1090C8.B4FF2156@pacbell.net> <20010526225855A.jkh@osd.bsdi.com> <20010527150747.B1614@spotteswoode.yi.org> <20010527210248.B51861@xor.obsecurity.org> <20010528234040.D438@spotteswoode.yi.org> <20010528144202.C58165@xor.obsecurity.org> <20010529004908.G438@spotteswoode.yi.org> <3B135002.5BB4F5C9@i-clue.de> <20010529132630.B4555@spotteswoode.yi.org> <20010529044330.A37813@xor.obsecurity.org>

> Kris Kennaway:

> > i went to "ftp://releng4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/" and took
> > the snapshot of may 24, 2001 (src/).  then i used "install.sh" contained
> > therein to install right on top of the sources in there after i made sure
> > that the "--unlink" flag was given to it's tar() command.
>
> That's not how you're supposed to install sources.  Why did you
> overwrite the old sources instead of replacing them?  Obviously that's
> not going to delete any extra files removed since your older version.
>
> It would have been much more bandwidth-efficient to just use cvsup to
> update your older sources in-place.

that's what i did twice before that.  and old files can't be a problem,
because they won't get referenced by the new sources, right?  and if they
will get referenced, it could be only because there was no new version
replacing it, right?

in the end this would lead to uncovering dependencies not covered by
uptodate/current files stored on the cvsup-server by the current
procedures.  i should add that i "rm -rf /usr/src"'ed all the old files
a few days ago, because i knew i could always replace them with the
versions on my (old) freebsd 4.0 cd's.

that's obviously what happened.  or take the differences between
/usr/share/mk/* and /usr/src/share/mk/*.  make buildworld, for example,
calls tsort with the flag "-q", which does not exist in my version, so
builds relying on on the order of symbols fail.  not surprisingly, fixing
this peculiarity lets a build proceed much farther.

fortunately, i must say now in retrospect, the german telekom lets people
wait ages for their dsl access, which gave me time to prepare a kernel with
all the neccessary options not contained in the generic kernel way before
this tune began.  there's not much point now in pushing ahead with this, i
just hope my kernel will do what is needed.

i am not sure if i am really the only one ever been in such a mess, or if
the "silent majority" running into this stays silent and orders new cd's
instead, thus inhibiting progress in the overall quality and robustness of
the update/build process.  nonetheless i'll sit down to try to figure out
just how my sources went askew, and then i'll propably get those cd's
myself, if only to support the freebsd project.

should somebody have an idea as to how exactly get a clean start with what
file base and which commands, i'd be happy to give it a try.  not much that
can be destroyed now, and i was wise enough to at least back up the
libraries :)

clemens fischer