Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2001 09:43:53 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Subject:   Re: Fixing documented bug in env(1)

David O'Brien wrote:

| On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 12:49:43AM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
| > | For whatever it's worth, it seems more reasonable to me
| > | to use '--' instead of '=='.  Since '--' has NO equals
| > | sign in it, it clearly can't be the setting of an
| > | environment variable.
| >
| > If we're voting on this, I'm very strongly in favour of `--'.
|
| Why?

The reasons have already been articulated.  In brief, there is
prior experience with using `--' as an indicator that argument
processing is to change at this point; using it twice for the
same purpose conflicts less with POLA than inventing the `=='
thing, which has never been used for anything.

The real reason for my post was that there was an indication
that responses in favour of one or the other of the proposed
mechanisms would be taken into account in the decision.  I don't
want to see this `==' idea get up.