Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:54:50 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, huntting@glarp.com
Subject:   Re: changing timezones

On Monday,  4 June 2001 at 19:08:40 -0700, Matt Dillon wrote:
> Daniel O'Connor wrote at some indeterminate time:
>> On 05-Jun-2001 Matt Dillon wrote:
>>>      slate.  It is also fairly easily to simply restart the
>>>      effected servers.  I'm not sure an automated solution is really
>>>      desireable.  Timezones generally never change except maybe
>>>      on a laptop and laptops get powered up and down all the time
>>>      anyway.
>>
>> Unless your suspend to disk works in which case you basically never power off
>> for real :)
>>
>> (At least I don't).
>
>     Hah.  I don't trust laptops that much.  Besides, I don't mind
>     waiting the 30 seconds or so it takes to boot.

Your choice, of course.  I do.

>     Of course, in time the battery and power savings capabilties
>     will mean that you won't have to suspend to disk at all.  Just
>     keep the thing on 24x7 serving up your personal web pages!

Well, I don't suspend to disk, but indeed in suspend mode my laptop
will last for a week or so, far longer than I am ever away from a
power point.

I still don't understand what you're saying about programs not liking
the time zone changing from under them.  Typically any program which
uses time zones will access /etc/timezone once only.  It remains stuck
in that time zone.  That may be a nuisance (I find it annoying with
syslogd, for example, but kill -1 will fix that).  I frequently fly
transpacific without rebooting, but change through all time zones
where I stop over.  I've never had any problems.

Greg