Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:56:37 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Dennis Reiter <denny@reiters.org>
Cc:        Donn Miller <hackr_d@yahoo.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improvements for FreeBSD v4.3.1-Release?

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 07:57:08PM -0500, Dennis Reiter wrote:
> Quoting Donn Miller (hackr_d@yahoo.com):
>> In general, I think journaling is better, but what happens when the
>> journal itself gets corrupted?  Another [+] for softupdates.  Ok, I
>> don't know what I'm talking about.
>
> What happens is you turn the ringer off on your phone and take a
> long, long nap while it does an fsck.  I've had this happen on a
> 250gig filesystem.

Patience, Grasshopper.  The next phase of the softupdates project is
an fsck that can run in userland background.

So, you get the performance improvements of softupdates over a
journaled filesystem, plus the near-instant reboot of a journaled
filesystem.  All for free!

This is working in -current, I don't know if there are plans to back
port to -stable or if it will just wait until 5.0 =becomes= -stable.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com