Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 20:12:28 -0400
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DVD IOCTLs on IDE?

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com> writes:

Brian> On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 05:52:54PM -0400, David Gilbert wrote:
>> Has anyone looked at DVD ioctls on IDE?  It took me some time to
>> realize (even after reading the source a couple of times) that the
>> current DVD ioctls only apply to SCSI.

Brian> 'Looked at'?  What do you mean?  People have been making use of
Brian> IDE DVD-ROM drives for quite a while now...

From the dvdio.h CVS comment:

MFC, DVD ioctls.

scsi_cd.c rev 1.36
scsi_cd.h rev 1.4
dvdio.h   rev 1.3

... One issue is that dvdio.h seems to be missing structure items that
are required by dvd software.  I have attempted to compile livid (oms)
and videolan ... both which at least talk about working on BSD.  Livid
refuses to compile because dvdio.h is missing certain structure
members.

videolan compiles and runs, but refuses to recognise a DVD in the
player (I've tried several DVDs).  My IDE DVD player probes as:

acd0: DVD-ROM <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1502> at ata2-master using PIO4

... and can successfully mount a DVD-ROM... they just don't play with
any of the software I've been able to find.  Most recently, I
downloaded a copy of another package mentioned on /., but it dies
looking for libdl.so ... which I assume is a stupid linux dependancy,
so I havn't been chasing it.

Dave.