Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2001 00:02:53 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        tyler spivey <tspivey8@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfilter

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 08:10:55AM -0400, tyler spivey wrote:
> i want to use ipfilter instead of ipfw - ipfw is driving me nuts. is ipfilter being removed from freebsd like it is from openbsd?

Darren is the one who maintains IPFilter in FreeBSD. I believe his
clarification of the license was discussed with -core, and it is not
going anywhere. There was some moving of IPF code around in the source
tree so that it is more confined to src/contrib. However, unless you
are trying to put a newer version of IPF into an older version of
FreeBSD, the move should be transparent.

That said, IMHO, ipf(8) is not any easier than ipfw(8), just
different. In fact, I think the way ipfw(8) rules work, "match and
out," is a little easier for the beginner than ipf(8)'s "last match"
or "quick" methods.