Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:27:33 -0700
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        John Toon <john.toon@btinternet.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux Emulation Problems

On 2001.06.27 08:01 Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jun 27), John Toon said:
> > I'm experiencing Linux emulation issues on my FreeBSD-4.1 setup.
> > Whenever I attempt to run a Linux binary, they try to access my
> > FreeBSD library /usr/X11R6/lib/libxalflaunch.so.0 - even for
> programs
> > that apparently have *no* need of this library (Linux version or
> > otherwise). In particular, neither the
> > j2sdk-1_4_0-beta-linux-i386.bin archive extracts, nor does does the
> > setup program for the Linux binary of build 627 of OpenOffice run
> > correctly. For example, the setup program reports:
>
> Do you maybe have an LD_PRELOAD environment variable pulling in
> libxalf?  Or maybe those apps really need xalf, in which case you
> should copy the Linux xalf libraries from a Linux box into your
> /compat/linux tree.
>
> > ./setup: error in loading shared libraries:
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libxalflaunch.so.0: ELF file OS ABI invalid.
>
> --
> 	Dan Nelson
> 	dnelson@emsphone.com

Helpful only if you have a Linux box . . .  Xalf gets built/installed as
part of the Gnome-1.4 meta-port--but no corresponding support is built
into the /compat/linux stuff.  For those of us without Linux boxes,
could some one update the XFree support in /compat/linux so I can start
WordPerfect, StarOffice, RealPlayer, and Linux-Netscape from a Gnome
menu.  Currently, the only way to successfully start these apps is from
the command line of an xterm--otherwise, they all choke trying to find
Linux versions of the Xalf stuff.  Major bummer . . .

jmc