Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:13:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        proot@horton.iaces.com
Subject:   Re: Socks setup for m3socks cvsup ...

In article <20010713153935.A5879@horton.iaces.com>,
Paul T. Root <proot@horton.iaces.com> wrote:
> 	I'm trying to get the m3socks cvsup combination
> working. I've compiled up the cvsup and install the module-3-socks
> stuff.
>
> 	My socks server is Socks 5 and it has SOCKS_V4SUPPORT
> defined. When I try to connect I get:
>
> $ m3socks  /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g /etc/cvsupfile
> Cannot connect to cvsup3.FreeBSD.org: Connection refused
> Will retry at 15:34:28
>

> And the messages file on the server is:
> Jul 13 15:30:34 s5server Socks5[29417]: Auth Failed: (10.20.56.82:1075)

The documentation on using CVSup with SOCKS is badly out of date, and
m3socks is long overdue for its final journey to software heaven.
With modern versions of CVSup you can use standard SOCKS if you do it
right.

Build CVSup using the "net/cvsup-devel" or "net/cvsup" port.  Don't
use the package, because these packages are statically linked.  You
must build the port yourself in order for it to be dynamically linked
and usable with SOCKS.  Note: To save a huge download, you might wish
to install the "lang/pm3-{base,net,gui,forms}" _packages_ before you
build CVSup.

Install SOCKS5 in whatever way works for you.  Run cvsup using
runsocks in the usual way, but add the magic argument "@M3novm" to the
cvsup command line -- anywhere on the command line.

John