Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 11:32:51 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        ctm-announce@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTM mirrors

Thanks everyone for your input.  Probably this shouldn't get into a
discussion - I think that ctm-announce is meant mostly for
announcements.

I summarized the arguments and presented them on freebsd-hubs.  So far I
have not had any response, so I don't know what people are thinking over
there.

If you like, you could also subscribe to freebsd-hubs, and help me
answer people, hoping to persuade them to mirror CTM.  In a sense, there
is no point to argue the issues on ctm-announce, because we are really
preaching to the converted.

It may be that part of the problem is that the present master ftp site
for CTM has very slow bandwidth.  Files like the xEmpty files for
cvs-cur can take up to 12 hours to upload/download.  (There is also a
problem in that in the present setup it is possible to read the files
while they are still being uploaded by the computer that created them -
so a mirror might conceivably copy half of a file.  The mirror admins
didn't like that.)

When I first volunteered my computer to create the CTM delta's, I was
reluctant to put anonymous ftp on my machine - I had security concerns.
I really don't know if those concerns are well founded - I was
persuading myself it would be OK, but by then Chuck had found
ns3.saargate.de.  If you guys have any opinions concerning the security
risk of putting anonymous ftp on my machine (which is the machine I use
day to day), maybe you could pass them on to me by private email.  I
should add that I have very good bandwidth.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen@math.missouri.edu